Thursday, May 3, 2007

Baking Lesson

I decided to make some chocolate chip cookies. I had some leftover coconut milk and had been thinking of a way to use it. ??????? Replace the butter in the recipe with the coconut milk. "One type of fat for another" I thought. Besides, I love the rich texture and coconutty flavor that coconut milk brings. "Coconut and chocolate go together" I reasoned. I have never used this brand of chocolate chips before but when I sampled them they seemed like they would go well. I used the recipe on the back of the package. It called for vanilla. The batter looked just perfect but I thought, "Well.... It called for vanilla I better put some in." I was out and used some chocolate liquor instead. Instantly the batter became thin. Forget that the finished product looked like pancakes and fast forward to the taste test. Disappointing. They were very light and had not even the slightest hint of coconut flavor. In fact not much flavor at all. I tried it. Didn't like it. Will not be substituting coconut milk for butter again. Lesson learned.

4 comments:

dp said...

It sounded good!

Anonymous said...

We usually don't use coconut milk to make cookies, but we use it to make cakes. If you are interested in making cakes/dessert with coconut milk, I can try to find some Indonesian recipe in English.

imayme said...

That would be nice :>).

Anonymous said...

You can check out this website, she has some cakes made with coconut milk.
http://aprilisa-kitchen.blogspot.com/

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger