Monday, April 16, 2007

Use for Onion Skins

When you peel and chop onions do you throw the skins away? I don't usually. What do I do with them you ask? Why, I make onion stock. You pay big bucks for stock in the store and it's often loaded with salt. I just put the peelings of any veggies I'm using, with the exception of potato peels, in a pot, cover the peelings with water and heat on low until I'm ready. That's right until I'm ready. When I'm finished cooking or after dinner, or after I put the baby to bed just make sure to keep enough water in the pan to cover the peelings. When I'm ready I just strain them out. I like to use the utensil shown in the picture. Don't remember where I got it or what it's called but it works well for this purpose. A slotted spoon or bowl type strainer would work too. The peelings then go on the compost pile. I usually end up putting the stock in a container and freezing it until I need it for a soup or something. This stock also has garlic skins and washed leek tops. I just love onion stock because the color is so beautiful.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger