Thursday, July 5, 2007

Trying Something New

I happened upon a blog called Going Bananas. It's basically about a woman who eats only raw foods. I've been reading it for awhile now and recently reading some other blogs on the same subject. I've been ready for a change for awhile now.

I really don't like the idea of starving myself or always counting calories. Eating mainly healthy foods and staying away from most preservatives, artificial colors, hydrogenated oils, and recently high fructose corn syrup has become quite normal. I have upped the amount of veggies I eat and am in the process of switching to whole grain pasta (still have some semolina pastas in the cupboard). I decided to give raw meals a try for breakfast and usually lunch.

The switch for breakfast should be easy because Gio usually eats fresh fruit then. I didn't used to eat any and give it all to him because fresh organic fruit is so expensive. I would just eat a breakfast bar ($0.99 each). Then I started eating around the core of the apples and pears I cut up for him, nibble on a few grapes, stuff like that. Today I got to thinking "Hey some cuts of meat go for over $10lb and I'm feeling guilty about buying more fruit that isn't usually half that price per pound." Normally though I don't buy meat that is more than $4lb unless it's organic.

Last night after the fireworks I bought Organic Golden Delicious apples $6.33 ($1.75lb), red cherries $15.81 (2.99lb), organic cherries $14.97 ($4.99lb), organic grapefruit $6,99($1.75lb), organic nectarines $5.99 ($2.99lb), and organic bananas $5.06 ($0.69lb) from Wegmans. There are still very sour organic grapes and 2 melons here at home.

Today was day one. Everything I ate of course was shared with Gio. For breakfast I had about 1/2 of a pound of cherries dipped in sugar. My allergies have been not horrible but definitely there so my taster was off and they tasted sour so that's why I dipped them in sugar. Gio also had yogurt and whole wheat macaroni with sausage, egg, and cheese. For lunch I had three or for bananas dipped in sugar with mystery butter and more cherries. The cherries didn't taste as sour so I only dipped the sour ones in sugar. As a snack I had a little over a pound of organic cherries. I took a nap and when I woke up my nose wasn't running and I felt great. Ended up at Taco Bell for dinner. It was good but I kept thinking about those cherries. Weird because I usually crave restaurant food. Awhile after getting home I had about 15 cherries.


When doing dishes today I noticed there weren't as many dishes. Yay :). I figure if I end up staying with this I may end up saving money on dish soap, hot water, electricity (cooking), and bottled water. I ate a melon for lunch a few times recently and noticed I wasn't as thirsty as I usually am. I like that fresh fruit for the most part is travel ready. When we're out and on the go I can just fill a bag with fruit and eat it on the go. I also like that I don't have to feel guilty for eating too much fruit or eating too much in general. From what I've read, most people who start out eating all their meals this way eat under 2000 calories a day and are not hungry. Looking forward to this new journey.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going on raw diet? Summer is probably good to eat lots of different fruits. Good luck on the diet!

imayme said...

I'm trying it out for 2 meals a day. Yes, there are so many yummy fruits and veggies available now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Amie

You go Girl....
Love Mom

imayme said...

I'm goin' and happily I might add. Thanks for your support Mom. I love you too.

dp said...

Fruit is very portable and great to have on hand whenever you need it. :)

imayme said...

True. Each piece of fruit comes in it's own little portable package.

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger