Friday, July 17, 2009

Kids & Food

I found an interesting article in the Genesee Valley Parent titled kids and food. Apparently they got the information from KidsHealth. Here are some of their tips for parents along with my comments:

1. Parents Control The Supply Lines You decide which foods to buy and when to serve them. Though kids will pester their parents for less nutritious foods, adults should be in charge when deciding which foods are regularly stocked in the house. Kids wont go hungry. They'll eat what's available in the cupboard and fridge at home.

I have heard many people say their children or children they know will only eat a few select foods. I believe this is because this is what the parents are feeding them. If a child is hungry enough I'm sure they will eat another food. Also if a child hears adults say they will only eat certain foods and only certain foods are given to them this only confirms it for them.

2. From The foods You Offer, Kids Get To Choose What They Will Eat Or Whether To Eat At All. Kids need to have some say in the matter. From the selections you offer let them choose what to eat and how much of it they want. This may sound like a little too much freedom. But if you follow step one, your kids will be choosing only from the foods you buy and serve.

I agree to a point. I think children should be encouraged to try new foods. Lately we often have fruit after the main course for breakfast. My boys if they had their choice would fill up on fruit. Our rule is that they need to eat most of the main course. If they have room for fruit they have room for the main course. My children are a bit young to choose their portion size. I had not thought of this before but I think this is a good idea.

3. Quit The ?Clean Plate Club more to come later

No comments:

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger