Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Letter Connection

Gio's memory never ceases to amaze me. He seems to remember things from before he could say them. This summer when we would go for a walk, I would point out different things. One of which was the stop sign at the end of our road. "See the red octagon sign? Were almost there." Then when we got there sometimes I would point out the letters. He could repeat each letter after me and sometimes guess when I pointed.

Then one day I don't remember where we were I think it was at Target. Ya know how they have those stop sign in between the lanes. Well anyway he says "S-P-O-P " I'm only half listening to him because I'm busy looking for vehicles. When we came out he said it again.

Well anyway I finally figured out what he was saying and would periodically ask him to spell stop. He always answered "S-P-O-P" So I tried on I think it was and it was too close to stop. The o-n was too close to o-p and it just didn't stick. So I tried "it" and he remembered. So then I tried moon and cat. One day I asked him to spell moon and coached him through it and he says "peh star" So every now and then I ask him to spell the two and a half words he knows. He knows stop, it, and that cat begins with c sometimes he remembers the a but not too often. Then he usually asks me to peh several other words. It's neat to watch him think of words. One day he came out with "peh uta woom" as he sat in the dining room and glanced into the living room. "Other room?' I thought "Wow."

He also now knows most of his alphabet. He wizs from A to K then needs some coaching from L to P then wizs from Q to Z. If I'm not quick enough he'll get to K then start again at A. One night on the drive home I listened to him sing from A to K oh about a thousand times or at least it seemed like a thousand. He was so proud of himself how could I do anything but listen.

He went through a short stage after he learned I was proud of him where he would recite the alphabet and look around to make sure everyone had clapped and commented that they were "poud" of him. Then he would ask if for example Fancy was "poud". Then he started with inanimate objects. "pable poud?" "Table proud??????"

He is also big into The Cat And The Hat books now. At the end of Hop On Pop it says "My brothers can read a little bit. Little words like if and it." One day he was looking at that page and pointed out if and it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Gio is advanced....Amanda is just beginning to spell and she loves to watch Super Why in PBS...it helps her to learn how to spell.

Powered By Blogger